Listening with the Third Ear
Listening with the Third Ear: Counselling Skills for Audiologists: an extended course with Kristina English
Course suitable for:
All audiologists who are interested in expanding their Counseling skills
Dr Kris English
This extended course provides the delegates with the opportunity to not only learn and understand a set of basic counseling strategies, but also to apply, discuss and evaluate the effectiveness of these strategies. The course consists of 2 training days, with 6 weeks of reading assignments, online discussions and e-mail mentorship with Kris English between the workshops.
- Describe the characteristics of non professional counseling to audiological practice and why it is essential to clinical practice
- Describe behaviours audiologists may use that can interfere with communication between themselves and the client
- Identify some consequences of unsatisfactory interpersonal communications due to hearing loss as it affects self concept across the life
- Outline the main features of a support group
- Identify some childhood and adolescent hurdles to adjusting well to hearing loss
- Describe some current perspectives on depression in elderly patients
- Describe the differences between external and internal stressors that affect a person's adjustment to hearing loss
Kristina English "Counselling in Audiological Practice"